Monday, July 19, 2010

Final post

As most of you know, we were not able to race the germans on saturday due to thunderstorms. Everyone was disappointed but I truly believe that it is safe to say we all had the time of our lives. The plan for saturday was to be up early, go to the course for the races, and then go back to R.a.W. Once we got there however, it was obvious that sticking to those plans was going to be a problem. The clouds were dark and ominous, and they stretched on forever in all directions. At first the racing was delayed and hour. Then another hour. Then another. Finally someone called it and said no one would race. We went back to R.a.W disappointingly joking about how "we didn't lose to the germans".
Although the racing was cancelled, one oarsmen got to have his own german rowing experience. This is Austen "The Bolverine" Bolves's story:

On the evening before we left I was given a very unique opportunity. While looking for my water bottle at the boathouse which the HP group was staying, Cass (the girls HP team coach) asked me if I would like to go for a row. Not just any row though. I would be rowing in a new Empacher 8+ with an Olympian/world record holder, a Silver Medalist from the World Championships, and many other accomplished German rowers. I had to say yes. First thing off, I’m told I will be rowing port, which is not my usual side of the boat; this just adds on to the immense fear which is now gripping me. I timidly meet all the rowers and they happily greet me into their boat as if I am equally as accomplished as them. From hands on I was lost in German commands and a very different way of doing things. Soon though, as I rowed more with these guys, the relaxed and focused feel of the boat made it easy for me to fit right in to the line-up. I began to pick up on what certain commands meant and how they expected the drills to be done. A couple of them tried to give me some pointers in what broken English they knew and I almost didn’t feel foreign anymore. It was just eight guys rowing a boat together. Their style of rowing was different than mine and occasionally on a power piece I was overwhelmed by the power of the boat but I kept up and held my own and made it through the practice. Afterwards all the guys thanked me for helping them as if the pleasure was theirs. It was remarkable. All of these guys were just there to row because they love it and they were happy to share their love of the sport with me, the junior rower from America. Rowing with these guys showed me so much but above all I realized that when a boat has a combination of passion and focus, it doesn’t matter who is in it, that crew will move as one.

I think the Bolverine would agree with me if I said that I wished camp lasted longer, I'm sure a lot of kids would. However right now I'm at home. And after sleeping for about twelve hours, I can honestly say there is no where else I'd rather be.

This was the last Blog entry. I hope everyone has a great summer. Good luck to the men's and women's Junior national team. USA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment